Elmhurst was incorporated as a village in 1882. It had a population of 1,050 residents and included legal boundaries of St. Charles Road to North Ave. and one-half mile west of York St. to one-quarter mile east of York St. Public improvements were soon provided by the village; police protection, a volunteer fire department, sewers, and plank sidewalks. Such private companies as Elmhurst Spring Water Company, Elmhurst Electric Light Company, and Chicago Telephone Company introduced other new services in the late nineteenth century.
Opening the finest doors in Elmhurst
Elmhurst more than tripled in size during the 1920s, growing from 4,594 residents to 14,055. The community also enjoyed the benefits of such new, modern city services as cement sidewalks, paved streets, ornamental electric streetlights, a City water department, and new sewer service. Many present day institutions were organized in the 1920s as well: Elmhurst Park District dates to 1920, and Elmhurst Hospital was established in 1926.
Today, Elmhurst continues to change; however, the City of Elmhurst is committed to shepherding the community into and through the next century by continuing its long history of services of the highest quality for residents and visitors. Working together, residents and the City can make certain that Elmhurst will continue to be a wonderful place to live and raise families.